TrendMiner's easy to use time navigation will help you move quickly through all your data that is being visualized, to find trends that help you define a problem or to confirm a hypothesis.
Data is visualized on the Focus chart and the Context chart. The Context chart sets the scene and defines the data on which specific searches and filters will be applied. The Focus chart represents the biggest part of the application and shows the time series data for the period of interest. Both levels can be used to navigate in time.
The focus chart itself offers various controls for time navigation.
Chart zooming (in and out) can be done in scroll fashion with your mouse or touchpad.
You can also zoom in on the chart when a selection is created on the focus plot. This is done by a click and drag action on the focus chart, creating a greyed selection. By doing this you are highlighting your interest in the period. When the area is selected, a selection menu appears including a zoom option.
Note: The selection's options popup list hides after a brief moment in time when the mouse pointer leaves the selection or the options popup. Hovering over the selected area, visualizes the options popup again.
Panning - Focus plot X-axis
Panning is another way to quickly move through time or to increase the current time period. This is done using drag and drop functionality added to the time axis.
Depending on the state of the lock (Focus chart controls) the behavior is different.
- Closed lock
- The whole period is moving to the left or right (period stays fixed).
- Moving to the right shows older data.
- Moving to the left shows newer data.
- Open lock
- The period gets bigger, loading more content on one side.
- Moving the axis to the right adds older data to the focus chart, the end date stays fixed.
- Moving the axis to the left adds future data to the focus chart, the start date stays fixed.
Note: The default value of the lock button is set to unlocked.
Focus chart controls
Below the focus chart there are options which give you the ability to move through the time on the focus plot.
The shift buttons (arrow buttons), the leftmost and rightmost buttons will shift the focus chart into their respective directions. The response here depends on the state of the lock button, mentioned earlier.
When the button is unlocked, both buttons will add 20% of the current window size to the period. When the lock button is locked, the buttons will move the chart to the left or right, by 20%.
Next to the shift buttons on the left and right, you will find the date and time pickers. Use these buttons to select the start and end time of the focus chart.
Between the date and time pickers you have further options. The focus chart visualization mode button provides a list of available chart visualizations. The options here include:
- Trend: Trend line visualization for all tags and attributes in one swim lane.
- Stacked trend: Trend line visualization with an individual swim lane per tag or attribute.
- Scatter: (Multi) scatter plot visualization.
Note: More information about the charting visualization modes can be found here.
To the left of the focus chart visualization button, sits the time span selection option. By selecting the time span picker, you open an option to apply preset time frames to the focus chart, enabling a quick and effortless way to frame the time span you wish to analyze.
The start time is updated when using this option, but the end date remains the same.
The following time frames are included: 1 - 2 - 8 hour(s), 1 - 7 - 30 day(s) or the possibility to enter specific time periods.
With the custom time period you can select the exact period you wish to see displayed on the focus plot. To input a period simply use y for year, M for month, w for week, d for day, h for hour, m for minute and s for second.
E.g.: for a period of 1 week, 2 hours, 2 minutes, and 10 seconds, simply input the following:
- 1w 2h 2m 10s, then press enter.
- Once you press enter, the focus chart expands or contracts to the period you requested.
Note: Clicking on the lock icon in unlocked mode will lock the current selected time span, as opposed to the predefined time span.
The lock button itself is located to the right of the time span selection button.
The final chart control button, is the undo time navigation button, located to the right of the lock button. This option is by default disabled but can restore any functional change to your current view regarding the previous state of the date and time settings, thereby undoing any time navigation action.
Note: When you load a new view, enable predictive mode, or enable a live mode view, the undo time navigation button is reset.
Focus chart settings
Located at the top right of the focus chart, you will find the settings button of the focus chart.
Per chart there are a couple of settings available to fine-tune the chart to your liking. For the 'Trend' and 'Stacked trend' chart, the following settings are available:
- Context items: displays context items.
- Trendline filling: fills the area under the trendlines.
- Gridlines: enables grid lines on the chart.
For the 'Scatter' chart the following settings are available:
- Colored points: Data points are given a color going from blue to orange which indicates the transition from the oldest to newest points in time.
- Correlation: Shows the correlation coefficient together with its equation value.
- Grid lines: Enables grid lines on the chart(s).
- Show histograms: Visualizes histograms on the different scatter plot levels.
More details about the chart visualizations and their options can be found on this link.
Context Chart and Period
The context chart shows an overview of the relevant data to examine (applicable on searches and filters). Below the chart you will find tools that can help you set your context chart, and also help you understand the link between the context and focus chart.
The context period is the period that is visualized in the context chart and is the period that is used when performing searches or activating filters in TrendHub.
There are multiple ways to change the context period.
- Beneath the context chart, you will see options that indicate a period of time. The first group of options are predefined periods. Clicking these buttons zooms the context chart into one of the following periods:
- One day (1D), now moment - 1 day
- One week (1W), now moment - 7 days
- One month (1M), now moment - 1 month
- Three months (3M), now moment - 3 months
- Six months (6M), now moment - 6 months
- One Year (1Y), now moment - 1 year
- All data (ALL), Start of index horizon to now moment
Note: The months / year durations mentioned are effectively a month or a year. E.g.: 3 months --> from 2nd of January 2022 08:30:00 to 2nd of April 2022 08:30:00.
- On the right of these predefined buttons, a "Custom" button, allows the setting of a customized context period.
- With the first option "Context period range", you can enter a custom period which behaves the same as the predefined buttons. Meaning, you can set the desired last 'custom range' (E.g.: 5d 8h 50m 42s) which results in the now moment - entered value.
- The second option "Custom context period" lets you define the start AND end date, and time for the context period.
Note: When the custom button is set, the entered value will be displayed in a tooltip when hovering on the button.
- Another way to update the context period is to use the button "Zoom context chart to selected area" which is located to the right of the "custom" button. Clicking this button will zoom your context chart into the period you have visualized on the focus chart.
- As a final option you can adjust the context chart by dragging the time axis of the context chart. Similar to the focus plot, where you can increase or move the time axis depending on the state of the lock.
Note: Each update with these buttons immediately adjusts the context period and chart. Any changes made can be reverted with the "undo time navigation" button.
Note: The default value of the context period, when logging in to TrendHub, is set to 6 months.
The context chart provides a rough indication of the evolution of the time series data in the selected context period. The period which is visualized on the focus chart is indicated on the context chart.
The following actions can be used to modify the focus chart:
- Selecting a region on the context chart.
- Adjusting the selected region by using the edges.
- Moving the selected period by moving the white box underneath.
- Selecting the complete context chart by clicking on the outside of the selected region.
Note: For easy navigation to a period of interest, it is often best to first select a longer period by using the context chart, then work a more accurate selection on the focus chart.